To begin with, I base my findings solely on the bible and approved testimonies of Christians who have had the opportunity to glimpse into the afterlife. Therefore, whatever I write here, please, feel free to corroborate with your Bible or with the Holy Spirit.
I was raised as a Christian and I’m still a Christian in my adulthood. Therefore, I surely believe there is a heaven a hell since Jesus Himself mentions it in the New testament. There are also references of a heaven and hell in the Old Testament. Thus, it is false for a person claiming to know Christ Jesus to say that heaven or hell is not real. Originally, God made Hell and the lake of Fire for Satan and his demons, not for man. However, because of Satan’s deception, people are joining him in his eternal punishment in the fire.
Over the years, I have encountered countless people who proclaim hell is not real. They say ” If God loves mankind and even sent His Son to die for us, then, why should he create a Hell?” Others believe heaven is not real and that the earth is the promised heaven. To some who believe in science and psychic energy, heaven and hell are non-existent because, ” Our spirits are energy and when we die we cease to exist completely.” In addition to this, other religions believe in re-encarnation and soul’s remaining on earth to watch over the living.
Whatever your believe, one sure thing i can tell you is, human spirit is eternal and does not hand around the earth once it leaves the body. As a keen Bible reader, I have found scriptures that prove human spirit does not die with the body but lives on after death. Here are some of the versus about immortality after death :
- Daniel 12:2 And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt
- Romans 2:7 To those who by perseverance in doing good seek for glory and honor and immortality, eternal life.
- 1Corinthians 15: 42-44 So also is the resurrection of the dead It is sown a perishable body, it is raised an imperishable body; it is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory; it is sown in weakness, it is raised in power; it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body. If there is a natural body, there is also a spiritual body.
- Genesis 3:22 Then the LORD God said, “Behold, the man has become like one of Us, knowing good and evil; and now, he might stretch out his hand, and take also from the tree of life, and eat, and live forever”–
- John 5:29-29 Do not marvel at this; for the hour is coming in which all who are in the graves will hear His voice and come forth—those who have done good, to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil, to the resurrection of condemnation.
- John 5:24 Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.
Having established the fact of immortality after death, we can now move on to another controversial place, ‘Purgatory’. According to the Catholic faith, (I attended a Catholic school for 8 years, so I recognize and understand the term together with most common practices of this religion) Purgatory is a place in the afterlife where people who died in the state of sin are suffering temporarily before proceeding to heaven. The suffering, they believe, cleanses the soul from past guilt and purifies them for their next life in Heaven. If you are a Catholic, there is a chance you are standing by this without any doubt. However, there’s no any eveidence in the Bible about this place, purgatory.
Let’s take the story of the rich man and Lazarus (Luke 16:19–31). When the rich man died, he went directly to Hades. Hades is described as a place of torment, flames, and without water. Lazarus is pictured in a place above and beyond Hades for the rich man had to lift up his eyes. Also, there was a great chasm (rift) separating the good place from Hades. As the story ends, the man cries asking Abraham to let him go to his brothers and warn them to escape this terrible place. As you can see, the whole context depicts no hope of redemtion for souls that go to Hades. Plus, the rift between the two places is another evidence that no soul can crossover to either side.
Likewise, in Revelation 20: 11-15 (………….. And the sea gave up the dead who were in it, Death and Hades gave up the dead who were in them, and they were judged, each one of them, according to what they had done. Then Death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire. And if anyone’s name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire)
The people who were in Hades were released, judged then throwned into the lake of fire which is their final judgement. All in all, these two verses show no intermidate place between heaven and hell.
So, is heaven real. Yes, it is. The Bible describes it as a place:
- Where no thief can break into or moth consume your valuables (Mathew 6: 19-20)
- Of many rooms and God has a home for each of us (John 14: 2-4)
- Where Christ seats in the right hand of God in glory ( Col 3:1-7)
- Of no earthly pleasures, immorality, slanderers, haters of God…etc for they deserve death (Romans 1: 28-32)
- No thirst, pain, disease, death, suffering, or scortching sun (Rev 7: 16)
- People of all races and location are invited and titles don’t matter (Luke 13: 29-30)
- Saints wear white robes (Rev 7: 13)
- No tears, crying, or mourning for the old earth is no more and everything is made new (Rev 24:4 -7)
- No magic, cowards, idolators, liars, sexually immoral (Rev 21: 8)
- No marrying or giving to marriage but live like angels (Mathew 22: 30)
- No sun or night, for the light will come from God Himself forever (Rev 22: 5)
On the other hand, Hell is decribed in the following verses:
— Matthew 25:46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”
— 2 Thessalonians 1:9 “They will be punished with everlasting destruction and shut out from the presence of the Lord and from the majesty of his power”
— Matthew 13:50 “and throw them into the fiery furnace, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.”
— Mark 9:43 “If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life maimed than with two hands to go into hell, where the fire never goes out.”
— Jude 1:7 “In a similar way, Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding towns gave themselves up to sexual immorality and perversion. They serve as an example of those who suffer the punishment of eternal fire.”
— Matthew 13:42 “They will throw them into the fiery furnace, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.”
— Matthew 25:41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.
— Revelation 19:20 “The two of them were thrown alive into the fiery lake of burning sulfur.
— Proverbs 15:11 “Death and Destruction lie open before the LORD, how much more the hearts of men!”
— 2 Peter 2:4 “For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but sent them to hell, putting them into gloomy dungeons to be held for judgment”
— Revelation 20:13-14 “The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what he had done. Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death.”
— Ezekiel 18:20 “The soul who sins is the one who will die. The son will not share the guilt of the father, nor will the father share the guilt of the son. The righteousness of the righteous man will be credited to him, and the wickedness of the wicked will be charged against him.”
— Luke 16:24 “And he called out, ‘Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus to dip the end of his finger in water and cool my tongue, for I am in anguish in this flame.”
With this in mind, open your hearts to receive the truth and understanding. Let no man tell you otherwise when it comes to life after death. Hell and heaven is real, what matters is what you choose to do now. If you are living in sin or stuck in the bad past, struggling with mental illness or difficulties in life, keep on living with hope of heaven in your heart. Strive to live a holy life no matter what and rest assured, Our Eternal God, Jehovah, will reward you according to the riches of His glory when your time on earth is up. Amen!